Attaining contentment might seem impossible. Yet it is something we all as humans have in common. What makes us happy might differ, but one thing that remains the same in all humans is how to achieve being content most of the time. Try these ten tips to increase your contentment.
- Accept your emotions. Anger, sadness, fear are all normal emotions we all experience and must experience. We cannot ignore the negative feelings or just drink them away. In order to attain happiness you have to understand what makes you angry, sad, and fearful and you have to accept that these are all a part of life and human emotions that you cannot completely avoid. They do not have to control you, but accepting that these are just as viable of emotions as being happy and content are will help you reach contentment faster and easier.
- Take risks every day. Structure and routine are both great things for our well-being, but too much structure and routine can lead to feelings of being in a rut. No one is content in a rut. So challenge yourself to take risks every day. It does not have to be jumping out of a plane risk, simple things like talking to someone new, pushing yourself in a workout, or taking the kids outside and jumping in puddles with them after a rainstorm. Just do something to shake things up a bit that will leave you with a sense of pride and even happiness.
- Stop dwelling on the past. You cannot change the outcome of things that happened already. You have to look towards your future, while learning from past mistakes so you do not continue to fall into the same old upsetting outcomes.
- Laughter is the best medicine. Have you ever wondered why you do not see children on depression medications? Studies show that children laugh 200 times a day. Adults only laugh 15 times per day. Laugh more; you will be much more content.
- Play to your strengths. If you are a terrible basketball player, then you have to accept that you are just not going to go pro. However, everyone has his or her own strengths. Figure out what yours are and use them. Yeah, we tell our kids they can be or do whatever they dream and this is fine, but we need to be realistic in our dreams.
- Always be grateful. Your overall outlook on life will improve if you can form your perspective on life to one of gratitude. Make a list of three things you’re grateful for every morning, this will set the tone for your entire day.
- Start out your day with something that makes you happy. Life has a way of working on autopilot. We get up, take a shower, get dressed, have breakfast, and run out the door for work. Then we come home, make dinner, and clean up, then go to bed. If you add an enjoyable activity to your routine first thing in the morning then you will set your tone for the entire day. It can be reading a book for enjoyment, go for a swim, take a bike ride. Whatever makes you happy, do it, first thing in the morning.
- Find your passion. We have responsibilities in life that do have to be taken care of first. In addition, we cannot all always do our passions and pay the bills. That does not mean we have to stop pursuing our passions. You will be far more content in life if you can paint, play an instrument, or write for fun. Take the time to do that every day.
- Reevaluate the negativity in your life. Whether it is that negative friend always dragging you down or just watching the news that makes you depressed, figure out what it is and do your best to remove it from your life. You do not need these rotten eggs dragging you down.
- Be inspired. Read uplifting quotes every day, or listen to spiritually uplifting audios or watch videos. If you find the things that inspire you and watch or listen to that instead of the things that make you feel bad you will find happiness.
Taking time out of your day to focus on happiness will do wonders for your contentment. You will see such a difference in your mood and your entire outlook on life will change.