We have all kinds of relationships with people, love, family, friends, business, and career relationships. In addition, maintaining a good relationship with all of these different personalities can seem next to impossible. It is very important for our own personal sanity and happiness though to maintain good personal and business relationships with people. Try these ten ways to improve how you relate to the people in your life for more happiness.
1. Know you. Know your needs, preferences, struggles, wants, and strengths. If you know yourself, then you know what you bring to the table in terms of your relationships. You will not feel resentment towards others if you know where you stand.
2. Know the other person. Take the time to get to know other people. Ask them about questions about their life, happiness, and find out what makes them tick. Be open to different points of views and do not spit all over them, but also respectfully share yours.
3. Don’t value your worth on whether or not you are married, have a family, or have 200 friends. You come off needy if you think you always have to be everyone’s friend or be in a romantic relationship.
4. Let others live, love, and share. Other people’s choices generally have little impact on our own lives, so let others live the way they want. Loving others means you do not put conditions on your love. Sharing creates harmony.
5. Try to understand other people’s perspective. People come from all lifestyles with different experiences. If you understand, where someone is coming from and what his or her motivations, reasons, and actions stem from, then you can build a relationship with that person easier.
6. Be prepared for conflict. No two people are alike. Therefore, no matter how well you may seem to hit it off with someone you will always end up having disagreements. It is how you handle these disagreements, and conflict that will set the tone for your entire relationship. You cannot just give up on someone the minute things are not all sunshine and roses. You have to build on things and come to an understanding.
7. Take responsibility. Sometimes we say or do things that hurt others. It might not have been intentional, but you have to be able to step up and take responsibility and own your actions. Nobody likes to be blamed for everything and if you are always, pointing fingers at others, then eventually you will have no one.
8. Grow together. You are not the same person you were 10 years ago. You have to be willing to grow with someone and accept the changes that come with that. Help a person grow and develop their strengths. Be supportive of the changes that are being made.
9. Nurture your relationships. You cannot expect a relationship without working to maintaining it. You have to communicate and make time for others. If you do not take care in your relationships to make the appropriate amount of time given the type of relationship, then you run the very high risk of losing it.
10. You must have trust, faith, and belief. Believing in people and trusting them is not always easy, especially if you have been hurt before. You cannot expect everyone to treat you poorly though and you have to believe and trust that others can be different. You also need to be someone who can be trusted as well. So stand behind others and believe in them and do not talk behind their back because then they will lose trust in you.
Maintaining relationships with people is very important. In addition, if you follow these ten simple steps, then you should be able to maintain both personal and business relationships with the people you need or want to be in a relationship with. Having satisfying relationships contributes to your lever of happiness.