Changing your mood can be surprisingly quick and easy when you have the right tools, strategies, and methods. Do you think I know what I am talking about? Well, I do, because I use my little furry friends to boost my happiness level all the time. They make me laugh; I hug them, and watch their little mannerisms and even tear up at their beauty. Ha! Ha! Ha! To those who do not find this a helpful cure to the blues.
There are of course other conventional ways to boost and recover our happiness level. All of us have days when we are out of sorts. You just wish you were in a better mood. You’ve had days like that, haven’t you? Most of us do, and often just sit it out. Not a good idea if you want to keep your happy. Perhaps you tried to get yourself into a better state of mind but struggled to achieve it.
Often we are stuck in our own emotional dumps and forget how easy it is to feel happier, so here are seven simple ways to lift your mood. Many people have found them useful. Some of them may surprise you!
- Go for a walk…..Most people know that going for a short daily walk is one of the best forms of exercise. When you are feeling down it is even more beneficial. You can take a stroll into a natural environment with trees, plants, and birds. Can you think of such a setting like this? What do you notice first? Since fall has begun, the different shades of greenery, and the tree leafs turning to those gorgeous colors. Take a deep breath and smell the fresh country air. Listen to the sounds of birds, and view the sunlight shining through the trees? Make it real by taking a short stroll
- Listen to quality music….Music can shift a listener’s state within moments. Its effect can be nearly magical. Dig out that CD you haven’t listened to in ages or tune in your radio to something you have never listened to before.
- Open yourself to discovering something new….Read something (printed, not on line) different from what you would normally watch. There are a ton of different types of magazines can you get these days. Visit your local library or browse through a magazine rack. Pick up or buy a magazine you would not normally buy. You may discover something wonderful.
- Find something to laugh at…..Laughter is one of the best ways to lift your spirits. Find a humorous book, or watch a comedy. Even better, read some inspiration or jokes, and call a friend to asks is they have heard them.
- Simple breathing meditation…. Breathing meditation is a great exercise that you can do anywhere. Simply allow yourself to sit comfortably with your back straight. Now close your eyes and become aware of the flow of air into and out of your nostrils. That is all there is to it. Do this for 10-15 minutes. Notice how pleasantly surprised you can be at how you feel afterward.
- Doodling for the fun of it….Most people can remember when they were young and used to doodle for hours. Kids love drawing silly little pictures. Drawing is not just for kids or artists. Get some pens, pencils, crayons or whatever you can find handy and just draw for the fun of it. Notice how your state of mind shifts. I doodle and always have from a child. It releases good hormones to see something you have made all by yourself. It does not have to be a perfect drawing.
- Think of others less fortunate….The fact that you are reading this article suggests that you are probably much better off than most people on this planet are. At times this may be hard to believe, but if you can read and have access to the internet, just those two things alone means you are better off than most people in the world are. Many human beings barely have access to the basics of survival. There are people in lots of pain. Allow your compassion for them to grow. It is also called gratitude. Be thankful!
These are all simple. There is nothing profound or life changing, but when all you need is a quick pick me up these may be just the thing you need. Putting simple ideas, methods, tools, and techniques into action will help you achieve change quicker and easily–surprisingly so at time– than you imagine.