Is Family and Mom Time equal????
It seems like there is no rest for the weary, and the weary person is usually mom, and she hardly ever gets to relax. Moms take care of everything or tries to. Home, is most important to her, but who takes care of her? If you are a busy mom, learning to value yourself as a person and having a scheduled personal time takes some effort.
Personal time is a right of being a person. Each of us has the capacity to nurture others but that type of care takes its toll.
A car is filled with gas to make it run. Eventually the gas runs out and your car won’t move unless the car is replenished with fuel. The same goes for you. Emotional issues can develop when you don’t take the time to take care of your emotional well-being, not to mention the physical results of emotional neglect.
Let’s talk about some ways to separate the two; family and mom time:
Mom time refuels the tank so that you can give to your family as well as yourself equal measure. You should not be ashamed to sit for fifteen minutes doing nothing. In the springtime, relaxing in a hammock under a tree is the perfect getaway from the pressures of the day. Reading a book for 30 minutes can also seem like heaven to many moms.
Here are a few tips to help you fit in the much needed “Self” time; so that family and mom time are more equal:
1. Get up early if you have to. When you have kids, the day begins at a hurried pace. Once you hit the ground running, there is no stopping you. Waking 30 minutes to an hour ahead of time means quiet solitude to drink your coffee, read a book, meditate or listen to music. New Chapter Bone Strength Take Care will take care of your bone while you walk. AND, these ASICS BALANCE walking shoes or maybe these...ASICS Women’s Gel-Foundation Walking Shoe (Just click through and find these shoes. No excuses now, and me either, so let’s get it going.
2. Turn ordinary experiences into major events. When you take a bath, add candles, bubble bath, quiet music and/or an inflatable bath pillow. Your regular bath has now become a spa level experience. If you watch a movie, turn out the lights, pop a bag of microwave popcorn and curl up on the couch.
3. Ask your significant other for help. Kids love their mothers but time spent with dad is important too. Let them bond with dad while you go shopping for a new outfit or root around in the garden. Since the time is yours, do whatever you like.
4. Use the Boy Scout motto. Always be prepared and you can spend more time in a relaxed mode. Fix lunches the night before. Iron clothes for the next day and place backpacks by the front door so kids can grab them on their way out. The fewer things you have to do throughout the day, the calmer you will be with your family and not experience burnout.
5. Take exercise breaks. When you get a few minutes the last thing you want to do is exercise but getting a little physical activity in your day has far-reaching implications. Exercise helps you to think clearly and stretches the muscles. Also, stress will drain away as powerful endocrines are released into your system. Do jumping jacks during a television commercial or jog to the bus stop to pick up the kids.
6. Laugh at regular intervals. Keep a funny calendar cube on your desk or subscribe to a daily joke site. Laughing releases stress and can lift your spirits significantly. It also keeps the abs tight.
7. AND, don’t forget to treat yourself to something new every now and then. Be it a new scarf to dress up you blazer and jeans, or new fragrance, a new purse, your laptop bag or whatever. It will give you a lift….
Family is most important, but there is a time to take care of you and it is equally important that you do. Your family would miss you if you were not around to love and care for them. You owe it to yourself and you deserve a break from the daily hustle and bustle.
Give it a try, learn to take care of yourself; have that “mom time,” your family will thank you in the end, and then family and mom time will be more equal.
Cheers and fun,
P. S. No one can do this for you; you must do this for yourself…..like I mean….now!