There is more written online than I knew about this wonderful glorious feeling of happiness. Simply, I assume because it is such a beautiful place to be within anyone’s life, often sought for in all the wrong places. So, how do we make our day…not tomorrow……not next week, or month happy? One day at a time, is how to be happy for today.
What is the first thing you do when you get up in the morning? Oh, I am not talking about going to the loo. I am referring to what is on your mind. Our initial mindset for the day can be whatever we want it to be, if we train our mind to think positive thoughts.
For instance, these negative little words will set the day for disaster:
- Oh well the traffic is already backed up I am sure
- I hate this time of the day, and I do not want to get dressed
- I know something will happen at work today that will cause problems
- I have too much to do before I leave the house
- I hate my life, and wish I did not have to work
That is only a few thoughts that can get the mind in a negative mood for the rest of the day.
What the above actually sounds like, is someone who is a bit unhappy period, with life, work and themselves. Actually, however, any mindset can be changed to the positive and those who are happiest seem to be happy with most areas of their life and do not worry too much about those things they have no control over; like the traffic.
Here is the happy person who enjoys their family responsibilities, their work, and their life in general:
- Oh, I feel good today, and I cannot wait to get this day moving
- I am so thankful for my life and family and work
- I cannot wait to get to work to get the issues from yesterday resolved
- I am thankful for my health and I am so lucky
- I know today is going to be a great day, and I am so happy for the blessing in my life
Studies show that happy people have included themselves in social groups that have the same values, feelings, thinking, and do things as they do. They mingle and belong, and try to keep themselves positive.
It is know that some lifestyles carry heavy burdens, however, if we constantly express the negative things aloud, they will become prominent. That will be the focus, and then the outcome, regardless of what does occur.
Gratitude is essential to life, if a person is not grateful for waking up, one more day, how will they live many tomorrows. When we look at the bright side of life, we are having faith that whatever happens we will survive.
The mind is a terrible thing to waste on unpleasant things, memories, and those things we have no control over. When we caress what makes our life good, and how fortunate we are, we can feel the happiness we are longing for.
You cannot obtain happiness from outside sources; you must be happy from within, irrelevant of your surroundings. Is this possible, look around you, find someone who is suffering, and worse off than you are, and you will then see the meaning. Gratitude brings to light the important aspects of life.