You may be loving what you do in business, and if that is the case, then this article is not for you. But, if you have been thinking about changing or adding to your success with something new, you are in the right place. Many first time business owners and those just starting out are asking others how to do business without making so many mistakes. This is where you learn about “How To Become a Business Coach.”
There is always a time for adding to your resume´ with other business ideas and a need to expand what you have made successful already. Business coaching is now prominent and ongoing as people who begin a new business want to do it right the first time.
If you love helping people succeed and have a good mind for business, then becoming a business coach may be the perfect business to start. While the number of coaches seemed to have reached an apex in the past year or two, a good business coach is still in demand.
Here are five step to give you some thoughts on how to become a business coach, one step at a time.
1. Create a business plan. Who is your audience? Are you going to target a certain demographic? A certain type of business owner or business model? A specific industry? Outline not only your business plan including marketing strategy, organization and the like, but also your strengths and weaknesses as it relates to being a business coach.
You’ll want to outline your coaching program. How are you going to conduct sessions: on the phone, via email, in person? How are you going to charge your clients? What does a coaching program with you look like? Is it open ended or close ended, (meaning it lasts for a predetermined amount of time)?
2. Decide if you want to become a certified business coach. There are a number of coaching institutions that will teach you all you need to know about coaching. They’ll help you learn how to conduct a coaching session, what types of exercises and activities to give your clients to help them succeed and they will show you how to structure a coaching program and perhaps even how to start your own coaching business.
That being said, a coaching certification isn’t required to become a coach. It may lend some credibility to your business, but ultimately the decision is up to you. If you have a list of prospects knocking on your door and waiting for you to hang up your open sign, then certification may not be necessary.
3. How will you screen clients? Presumably not every client is going to be a good match for you and your coaching services? What does your ideal client look like? How will you screen them? How will you say no?
4. Take an honest look at your schedule and decide how many clients you can take on at any given point in time and then create a strategy to achieve that goal.
5. Finally, in order to become a successful business coach, you are going to need to market your business. Ultimately, word of mouth, credibility and authority are what will drive your coaching business. One extremely satisfied customer who is motivated to spread the word, say through a referral incentive, will help grow your business to a point where you have a full schedule.
Becoming a successful business coach is first about building a successful business. You need to know the ins and outs, fears and doubts for people starting their own business, and you need to be able to fill your schedule through referrals and word of mouth marketing. If you have a knack for helping people succeed, get out there and become a business coach. People need you.
To Your Success,